Monday, July 02, 2012

The Confectionery - 6


These are the things that I think are great.  So great that I want to sing about them.




STARRY NIGHT - VINCENT VAN DOMINOGH
Some people have patience.  Some people have a vision.  YouTube user FlippyCat has both, & also a ton of dominoes.  With over 7000 dominoes & 11 hours, he faithfully recreated Van Gogh's famous work of art, Starry Night.  It looks beautiful enough pre-fall, but when all the dominoes have fallen...man, that's impressive.


He also made a Mona Lisa, back in 2007. 


I thought my brother & I were pretty amazing with our Domino Rally set, but I guess this guy beats us.




CANDY BAR/CHOCOLATE TEST
How many of these candy bars can you identify in this photo/print by Rachel Been?  I was only stumped by some of the American candy bars that aren't available here in Canada (at least on a widespread basis).  Despite this, I should probably be embarrassed by how many I guessed correctly, yet upon reflection, I seem to feel quite proud. 


You can get the answer/cheat sheet here.




ANAKIN, THE TWO-LEGGED MIRACLE CAT
The internet is powered by cute kitten videos, but this one warms my heart like no other.  Don't worry - this Anakin didn't lose his legs in an epic battle on a volcano planet.  This less-mopey Anakin was born without a pelvis or back legs.  He doesn't seem to know this.


Anakin has a facebook page where you can get Anakin updates, & a FAQ page, where you can see his incredible X-Ray.  Go, Ani!




OCTOPUS MUG
My love for the octopus knows no bounds.  Here are a few reasons why:
They are turbocharged: Cephalopods use jet propulsion to get around.  That's cool.
They are real-life Mystiques: They can change not only the colour & pattern of their skin, but even the texture.  Suck it, chameleons.
They have 3 Hearts: THREE hearts!  So they must be capable of loving me as much as I love them.

They are awesome, & so is one of my Birthday gifts, given to me from my brother & his wife:
Now that I know this exists, I know I'm not the only person who would delight in pretending my black coffee is octopus ink.  And of course I'd be pretending, because they release ink when trying to escape & why would one ever try to escape from me?  I would only want to love it forever & ever & have its likeness tattooed on my shoulder, with tentacles extending down my arm & around my collarbone, but also he is purple.  Not that I've given it much thought.  Buy this awesome mug here for the cephalopod lover in your life.





CANADA
Yesterday we celebrated Canada Day, & I would be remiss not to mention it.  I wrote a more personal blog yesterday, but today I bring you videos to entertain the masses.  To celebrate our 145th Birthday, Molson has created a version of our National Anthem using their products & packaging.  While not my Canadian beer of choice, you have to love their patriotism.  I don't know what I want more - a beer can hi-hat or didgeridoo.


Also, Canadians are very familiar with this Molson ad from the 1990s, but it just doesn't seem like Canada Day without it:

My favourite piece about our fair nation would be this segment from the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.  Tom Brokaw delivered a beautiful tribute to the country I love so much.


Not mentioned in this piece was our health care system, which may explain the misinformed Americans who declared this week after the Supreme Court ruling that they were moving to Canada.






THE STAR WARS THAT I USED TO KNOW
In my first Confectionery blog, I posted an a capella arrangement of Gotye's hit Somebody That I Used To Know.  I noted that it was overdone, & we were all sick of the song & every cover it had spawned.  Pentatonix's version was just too good to not share, & the same could be said of this parody, which targets George Lucas' seemingly never-ending quest to change everything we love about the Star Wars films.  As an added bonus for this blog, where I recap Survivor, the parody features Tyson Apostal, from the Tocantins and Heroes vs Villains seasons.
Enjoy this, you will.






FEEL CLASSY IN 3 STEPS
This really worked.  Within seconds, a scotch appeared in my hand.  Follow the 3 steps here, & prepare to suddenly be more distinguished than you once were.




Those were my favourite internet sweets of the past week.  Come back next week for more goodies!


No comments: