Monday, October 08, 2012

Canadian Playlist

As it's Thanksgiving Monday, I thought I'd do something other than a Confectionery post this week.  Instead, I'm sharing a CanCon playlist...that's Canadian Content, to non-Canucks.  So I'm sharing some of my favourite Canadian artists - some I'm sure you've heard of, but there are also genuine hidden treasures here.





SLOAN
One day after school, the Coax Me video came on MuchMusic & I was hooked.  4 guys from Halifax, looking & sounding like they had traveled to 1994 from an earlier time.  I don't think I can choose just one song from any of these artists, so I'm going with 2.  For Sloan, I give you the Coax Me video, & their most recent, Unkind.  Sloan is currently on a Twice Removed tour, playing that iconic album front-to-back, & I CANNOT WAIT.







CITY & COLOUR
City & Colour is the stage name that Dallas Green started using when he performed his solo material, which was much more mellow than his work with Alexisonfire (also great, although screaming is not my thing):


City & Colour is the perfect music for relaxing - it's soothing & intense at the same time.  Here are Save Your Scissors, from Sometimes, & a live version of Fragile Bird, which is incredible.







SARAH HARMER
I want to listen to Sarah Harmer when I'm driving, when I'm cooking, when I'm working...she's pretty great.  Here are Pendulums & Silver Road from All of Our Names.






THE TRAGICALLY HIP
While I've never been a Hip superfan, you really can't get more Canadian than a band with a lead singer named Gord.  They are great at what they do, & I know I'm in the minority, so I'm sharing my favourite Hip song, Bobcaygeon, & their most popular, New Orleans is Sinking.  I will say that the one time I saw The Hip live, it was really impressive, hence the live version.






SARAH SLEAN
I discovered Sarah Slean with the kind of happy accident that Napster sometimes provided - My Invitation was incorrectly labelled as a Sarah Harmer song.  I fell in love with Sarah's voice & waited impatiently for Night Bugs to be released & have bought every album & seen every local show since.  The first song is Pilgrim, because who doesn't love a haunting song with the first line "A little blood & vomit on the car seat, & a tooth is sitting in my lap"?  The second is a gorgeous piece featuring an orchestra, The Cosmic Ballet.







ROYAL WOOD
I first saw Royal Wood live, when he opened for Sarah Slean at the Danforth Music Hall.  He sat down at a piano & did a jazzy version of the Oompa Loompa song & it was amazing.


The first real Royal song is Juliet - one of the most beautiful videos I've ever seen, to match an equally beautiful song, from A Good Enough Day.  I wish there was an official video or a good quality live version of the second song, because it is my favourite from The Waiting, Birds on a Sunday.  Just gorgeous.








BARENAKED LADIES
Originally dismissed as a novelty band with their If I Had ($1,000,000) hit, BNL has always been an extremely underrated band.  Ed began writing my favourite BNL song Am I The Only One? (from Maybe You Should Drive) for his future wife, but after his brother passed away in a motorcycle accident, the song was changed for him.  Heart-wrenching, & I love this intimate version. The second song is their cover of Bruce Cockburn's Lovers in a Dangerous Time, with the video taking us through Scarborough in the early 90s.







MOXY FRUVOUS
Another band considered gimmicky, Moxy Fruvous was a favourite amongst my friends.  Harmonies, songs about war & Canadian politics & authors.  Love them.   Here are Stuck in the 90s & King of Spain, both from Bargainville.








COLIN JAMES
Both his rock/pop work & his Big Band work are worth checking out., but Colin James made a name for himself with the blues.  Here are 2 of my favourites, Just Came Back & Limelight








GREAT BIG SEA
Being of Newfoundland heritage, I can't possibly compile a CanCon playlist without Great Big Sea.  You would think that a band playing a mix of original & traditional Newfoundland folk songs shouldn't be so popular, but you've probably never seen them live.  It is true pub music, so pour yourself a beer & sing along to Mari-Mac, & Lukey from Up...& just because, a bonus video of their kick-ass, super-speed version of R.E.M.'s It's The End of The World As We Know It (& I Feel Fine).








BLUE RODEO
So Canadian.  So good.  I think I would believe anything Jim Cuddy told me, he's so genuine.  Here are 2 of my favourites, 5 Days in May & Bad Timing, both from the brilliant Five Days in July.









RUSH
Subdivisions & Limelight.  That is all.






No comments: